Case Study: MARS Logo
I took on the project for MARS Sciences back in February and knew I had a big project on my hands. I was not a science or a math person in school so learning from the periphery about the kind of technology, biology and physics that this company works with on a daily basis is truly mind boggling.
Here's how a logo process works from initial consultation to final file delivery (and beyond!).
First, I met with the client at their office and learned about the technology that this brand would represent. The idea is to have it become an App through the app store, so with that in mind, I knew the branding needed to be comprehensive with eye-catching colors and recognizable style.
INITIAL LOGO DRAFTS
The first go around, I always provide a variety of styles, shapes, and forms. I always make sure the first (and second and third) drafts of the logos are in black and white so that color does not distract from the form. It is also important to have a logo that is effective and recognizable in one color for printing purposes.
Here are some of the initial concepts from this project.
The technology uses magnets and test strips that move liquid to different wells. We knew from the get go that the channels and the wells were something we wanted to incorporate into the design of the logo and the brand. Contrary to what you might think, MARS Sciences doesn't have to do with the actual planet, but instead, is an acronym to describe the type of magnetics used. But, we decided to run with the MARS / NASA / Space theme for branding anyway.
When collecting ideas for this project, I turned to my favorite tool, Pinterest. (See the MARS board here). This helped me find visuals that could fit the space theme, magnetics, app culture, and science. The first draft of logos is broken into two themes: minimal and vintage, based on those findings.
After more than a few drafts of logos, we arrived at our final concept with final colors, typography, photography and mock ups. Pretty excited with how it came together! Up next, website!